Week 9 Reading Notes: More Mahabarata (A)

Very cool architecture in Hastinapur (source)


Howdy again everyone, NitroDubbz here. Today I am reading the Mahabaharata again, but a condensed version. I chose to read the C. A. Kincaid version. 

This version opens with some explanation of the cultural significance of the Mahabharata poem. I think it's very interesting, it seems like it serves as a shared cultural mythology and a way to legitimize the rule of a caste or race of people. I'm not too sure about the demographics of India, I did a little research and the term "Aryan" in the Indian context seems to be more of spiritual/cultural moniker than a racial one. I read a bit of the C. A. Kincaid Ramayana and they mentioned that the north of India was ruled by Aryans and the south inhabited by savages and cannibals. So I'm wondering if these stories served as an origin story that validated a regime, maybe an empire originated in the north and spread its control to the south. I know nothing about Indian history so I'll have to do some research.

Anyways, this condensed story is very similar to the original, covering the divine origins of the Pandava brothers and their exile from Hastinapura. The story goes into a little bit more detail about the exploits of some of the brothers. For example, Bhima kills Vaka by breaking him in half, which is pretty dope. Arjuna also turns some alligators back into cute girls.

Then Yudhistira gambles away their empire, and the scene with the lake God is replaced by a snake who is secretly king Nashusha.

Anyways, that's all for today's reading. Until next time, I'm NitroDubbz.

Link to story here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction for NitroDubbz

Week 7 Story: Art Girl Rescue Part 3